22 October 2012

A roll of film

I spend quite a bit of time arguing with my similarly photo-obsessed friends about the relative merits of digital and film photography. I'm a staunch supporter of digital, mainly for its ease of use, its accessibility and the fact that it's 2012. I roll my eyes when my friends talk about the special quality of film and how it has soul and all that crap. But then I got a roll of film processed and I'm eating my words!

Photobucket

I think I decided I didn't like film mainly because it's always been a pain in the ass and I kind of resent people thinking it's somehow nice to have to wait for your photos and be surprised by the results, like the gods who designed film actually wanted it to be that way. Here's a lovely photo of Amanda and Bonnie that was a nice surprise when I saw it because I forgot that I took it.

Photobucket

Jake was talking about how you just can't get good greens with a digital camera and I scoffed at him. "Use the eyedropper tool!" I said. Really into the tree behind Tim here.

Photobucket

Yep, the greens are pretty amazing in this one too.

Photobucket

It was nice shooting through my old 50mm lens, too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think the other thing was that I used to burn through so many rolls of film trying to get a good skate shot, or the 'make'. Then I'd get the photos back and they'd be a bit dark or something and it was so frustrating! Maybe I should just relax a bit. I think that's the moral of the story.

Photobucket