30 August 2011

Halubki

When we were in Adelaide, my dad translated a Russian recipe for Halubki - aka freaking delicious cabbage rolls, like my grandma used to make.

Photobucket

I made them last week on my day off. I carefully dismantled a whole cabbage leaf by leaf.

Photobucket

Because my hands were covered in a delicious (to Tess) mixture of pork, beef and onion, I neglected to take photos until the rolls were getting a little pan fry before going into the pot.

Photobucket

All piled up and with tomato sauce on top to stew in, then more cabbage leaves on top to seal them up.

Photobucket

A couple of hours in the oven later, voila!

Photobucket

Ah, delicious! Even more tasty a couple of days later, mind.

Photobucket

In other news, I went to visit Joey at work. Mike had put up a poster of Joey riding around on his bike in Paris.

Photobucket

Joey had returned the favour by putting up a picture of Mike and his dog.

Photobucket

We went for a romantic drink by the beach in Joey's native St Kilda. He's on the mineral water, which, according to Joey, tastes like piss. I had a beer.

Photobucket

The next day, Tess looked like she was sizing up this tree to chop it down. Turns out there was a possum up there.

Photobucket

We met up with old friends Ben and Elissa and new friend Sammy, over from Brisbane town! Rosie was in Sydney for the weekend, by the way.

Photobucket

We went back to St Kilda (I know, I've lost my marbles) to go to this off-leash dog beach Joey has been telling me about. Utopia!

Photobucket

Staunch north-sider Tess was not keen at all.

Photobucket

Joey and Mem's hound Gigi on the other hand, was in her element.

Photobucket

Later on, we met up at the pub for dinner. Sammy was dressed for the occasion, with some locals mistaking him for a visiting hip-hop performer of some description.

Photobucket

Unfazed, I engaged Sammy in a red hood staring competition. He won.

Photobucket

It was great to make his acquaintance. Awesome to see you guys!

Photobucket

Sam and I continued to 99 Problems, where Dion furnished us with exotic drinks. That spiced rum is delicious!

Photobucket

We continued from there to the Gem, where it was Sarah and Andy's engagement party!

Photobucket

To be safe, I had skated to the pub instead of my usual bike ride. Didn't stop me from having a couple of minor spills on the way home.

Photobucket

The next day, Pete freshened my wheels with his belt sander.

Photobucket

We went shredding in Melton, where lo and behold, we bumped into Jordan! Here he is on his way towards trying a trick.

Photobucket

Then on his way back again. What a guy.

Photobucket

Oh, my new jeans are up on the NTS site - have a look! I'm trying to set up a web store at the moment, but please drop me a line if you're interested in buying a pair from me directly.

No comments: