11 September 2010

The last adventures in NYC

Ah, New York. It's become like my second home these past two weeks. Many say I became the city's favourite son, striding the boroughs like a newly crowned king. I wouldn't go that far, but I did love it. There are many things I will miss about the place, for instance the subway. It's so good! So quick! So easy to figure out because Rosie does all the map-work. You just follow her.

Photobucket

Iced coffee! They don't do iced coffee right in Australia. Who wants a litre of milk and two scoops of ice cream every time they drink a coffee in summer? Not me. I like these ones. I drank 'em every day.

Photobucket

Cold Tony! He's a graffiti person we find amusing.

Photobucket

Colette! In this picture, Rosie is buying an iced coffee from the famed cafe on Scottie's street.

Photobucket

Amazing skate spots freakin everywhere!

Photobucket

And I could go on. But I won't, because I want to tell you about Pops. I left it to our last day to go here, because I am stupid. It's just down the road from Scottie's house, and sells workwear for obscenely cheap prices. I got there early and sat on the other side of the street, sipping a, you guessed it, iced coffee, admiring the handsome facade. A convertible screeched up and there he was, Pops. With a young chick who worked there. 'Sorry I'm running late', said Pops in a thick New Jersey drawl, 'traffic was more heavy than I anticipated'. We went on to open the store and welcomed me in, where I bought some pants for me and Pete. It was awesome. He loved Australia. Ah, Pops.

Photobucket

What else did we do? Lots. But one thing was, we went to the Met. It's massive!

Photobucket

Our primary fascination was with the Egyptian section.

Photobucket

There were big footed mummies galore, and more sarcophagus' than you could poke a stick at.

Photobucket

They even had whole sections of ancient ruins, reinstalled in the museum! You may remember this part from When Harry Met Sally.

Photobucket

What else was there? Well, a bunch of paintings for starters. Look at these two mates, thick as thieves.

Photobucket

Sam had recommended the armory section, quite right too. I found this Japanese fellow that bears quite a striking resemblance to the 'ginger prince'!

Photobucket

Haha! Those Germans.

Photobucket

On the roof, there is a Bamboo installation. They're building it over a few months, quite the operation.

Photobucket

There are paths you can walk around up there, but you have to do a guided tour. We weren't that organised.

Photobucket

Pretty impressive stuff, overlooking central park and Manhattan.

Photobucket

The modern art section wasn't too shabby either. It's nice they let you take photos in there, too.

Photobucket

I really liked this. A nice presentation of something cool that humans have figured out.

Photobucket

Looks like Conor

Photobucket

Looks like Chris Baker

Photobucket

It's a really nice gallery. I would love to go back there and spend some more time. On our way out, we saw some Navy people buying hot dogs on the street.

Photobucket

You know you're in a nice neighbourhood when there's a Scientology centre specifically for celebrities.

Photobucket

We were in the crowd for an episode of Letterman! I wanted to take photos, but you weren't allowed to and Rosie didn't want us to get kicked out. She was right I think. They ran the whole thing so efficiently, there was always an over-enthusiastic employee watching us like an ambitious hawk. Rest assured, it was a fun (and free) experience, even if we did have to laugh and clap excessively.

Photobucket

Met up with Z Man, who invited us up to the apartment he is staying in with a bunch of friends nearby. We drank a Jamesons whisky which was lovely, but made us thirsty for the taping of the show.

Photobucket

Spotted these Italian shoes that have actually been preworn to look skated in. They cost $600. Fashion.

Photobucket

We went to Diner in Brooklyn for our final NYC dinner. The waiter comes and tells you the menu and writes it on the table cloth.

Photobucket

The gang - Sarah, Andy and Scottie, who had just returned from a grueling photo shoot with none other than Jay Z!

Photobucket

This is a terrible photo of the restaurant - rest assured, it's a lovely place.

Photobucket

Good burger!

Photobucket

Amazing desserts too. And that was that.

Photobucket

Look how tired and calm he is. Thankyou for having us, my dear friend!

Photobucket

We caught a cab to the airport early this morning. It's been an amazing trip. We're on the plane now, flying to San Francisco for two nights. Haven't even had a chance to get excited about that yet!

Photobucket

No comments: